Saturday 28 July 2012

Book Bitten: Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce

Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce 
I just picked up this book from Amazon and I am so disappointed. I've read up to Chapter 5 and I wish I could get a refund. It so wasn't worth £5.99 of my budget. The free sample granted wasn't a good sign but I thought the plot progression would make up for the lousy writing style, wrong. 


The blurb was really intriguing. It starts on a Christmas day and a long lost, thought dead, sister returns to her family, twenty years after she disappeared. 


The writing style is really hard to follow it's a bit confusing it doesn't flow naturally, before downloading the Kindle version I was listening to the preview on Audible, who wanted over £25 for this, don't waste your money, iTunes wanted over £15 which is still bad. The narrators general speaking was awful to listen to, the syntax was all over the place, couldn't figure out which part of England he was supposed to be from, the put on accents supposedly from Derby/Lancs/Nottingham were even worse, which is why I opted for the Kindle edition. The language really frustrates me. I understand that some people generally talk like that and they don't think anything of it, it's 'within context', but it's so prolific it's no fun at all to read and so far the book is proving the complete opposite of what I thought it would be like. 


The light, green cover is really deceiving. I thought it was going to be an interesting light read of a young girl turned Fey who disappears for twenty years, who then comes back to her family to tell them all about her adventures. With dark secrets and rebuilding family ties. So far all I'm getting is moody male family members swearing. Third person narration isn't always my preference. I think this book would have benefited from having it written in first person or changing it up a bit with alternating character perspectives. How this book received 4.5 stars is beyond me, let me know if it's worth ploughing through but for now it's on the dumped shelf. 


I doubt I'll finish this book so it won't receive a full review.


Have you ever been bitten by books? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Kind To Others.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...